Feudalism, Self Governing Part 2

The idea of self care, self governing, is making self well from the capital “N” Nutrients that fill us up authentically. As a collective human condition, we are all over the map from rigid to lavish as we approach self care.  The middle ground is fertile with “Nutrients” that grow pure parts of our nature and identity. We feel the most like ourselves, the most pure, when we swallow this fuel. 

Our “territory”—the plod over which we were given authority from the King Himself.  We have an essential charge over the goings-on in this territory He marked off for us.

It reminds me of the metaphor of our God who graciously gives us territory to tend, “talents” to invest, an inheritance to claim…as a Lord in medieval times entered a covenant with a vassal and bestowed a plot of land in exchange for homage and loyalty. 

Feudalism defined in medieval times the governing force over territory.  It was a relational and practical bond between a lord and a vassal.  So Christ claims the territory of our heart for Himself, He is Lord there. Lords in medieval times were covenanted to protect and oversee the big-picture well-being of their territory:

25For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the 
Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
--2 Peter2:25


I will make peace your governor 
   and well-being your ruler. 
18 No longer will violence be heard in your land, 
   nor ruin or destruction within your borders, 
but you will call your walls Salvation 
   and your gates Praise.

--Isaiah 60:17B-18

 As vassals we are granted responsibility over our inner beings, our outer self, our relationships, and such.  This lends understanding—some of us “vassals” tend to our land intentionally, and there are crops and fruit and noticeable aromas of goodness to benefit from.  Though we have the same Lord as our neighbor vassal, our fiefs might look very different.

What a change-making understanding:  I am given “everything I need” for goodness in life as 2 Peter says, but I have to flex that muscle, or it goes unnoticed, un- invoked, unused.  “Everything I need” is not useful and withers when I don’t plug in and, with my head and heart on straight, flex those resources and utilize them.



2 Peter 1:3-4
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.


My prayer for myself and you:  God, let me tend to my heart and life the way you model for me to govern.  You are so much better to me than I am to myself.  You coax me: 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts,” (Colossians 3).  Tune me in to adjust my governing and till this “land”, prepare it to harvest good things, blessings and abundance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psychological Approach or Spiritual Approach?

Boundaries you Cannot See And Cannot Ignore

A Tale of Two Disturbing Poems