Tribute to a healer, now healed herself...Codependency

Carole Smith was an instrumental contributor to my identity, my path, and work as a therapist.  She was my supervisor during the early years of training to secure my license as a therapist.  Her skills, talent, humor, intuition, and expertise in trauma healing were just a few of aspects that enriched me as a practitioner.  She was an example of how to thrive through pain and live a full life no matter unmoved mountains remain in our story.  She was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when she was around 13.  She was confined to a wheel chair for the whole time that I had the blessing of knowing her.   Her personality was infectious:  wit and humor found in the hardest of places, her “I get it” sense of being present with struggling souls, her warrior like approach to using just the right intervention to unwrap the stuck places.


She passed away this last December.  I found out only recently.  I comfort in the image of her carefree spirit dwelling in the carefree surroundings of God's eternal presence. In my process of saying goodbye, I decided to honor her by sharing a piece of her writing.  This is a blog she posted when her counseling business was known as the Epiphany Center.  It is on the topic of codependency.  I think it is a sweet sample of the way she sought  Christ’s image in the healing process.   You will also see a poem she wrote and her photo that was included in her celebration ceremony.


 
As Codependents “we learned too young and too well how to take care of everyone but ourselves.  Our own needs for love, attention, nurturing, and security went unmet while we pretended to be more powerful and less fearful, more grown up and less needy, thank we really felt.  And having learned to deny our own yearning to be taken care of, we grew up looking for more opportunities to do what we had become so good at:  being preoccupied with someone else’s wants and demands rather than acknowledging our own fear and pain and unmet needs”  --Women Who Love Too Much

The above Scriptures and my understanding of codependency echoed in my head as I thumbed through copies of Women Who Love Too Much and Codependent No More and thought back over years of self-definition based on how much I had given and done for others.  I wanted to throw away the books, close my eyes, and slide back in my pew at church as though I didn’t know what I knew.  And what I knew was that the books rang true at many levels and that a life of molding myself into what another needed had not turned out to be “Good News” after all. 

At root, I was not laying down my life for others:  I was laying down my life for myself – so others would stick around and, by needing me, keep me from sinking into my own pain.  Somehow, I had come to identify this way of running from myself as “being Christian”.  Frighteningly, so had many others.  Once I recognized myself as codependent, I began to realize that my Christianity was heavy on presence and very slight on honesty and trust.  As a graduate student in both theology and psychology, I began to seriously question whether it was possible to be psychologically healthy and Christian.  How could one recover from codependency and be Christian?

An answer to this question emerged as I began to question my definition of “Christian”.  Adrian von Kaam in Spirituality and the Gentle Life put words around what I had called Christian, but he renamed it:  pseudo-Christianity.  Pseudo-Christians believe that being Christian means fitting a certain “saintly” image and that growing in Christ  involves determining by their will, rather than God’s will, to change what is “unChrist-like” about them.  It is a lifestyle of introspective reflection in which the self is incessantly and scrupulously checked up on.  Pseudo-Christians believe they are loved if they live up to the “law” with the law being determined by whatever their own Christian community defines as Christian—be that conservative, liberal, evangelical, charismatic, etc.  Beneath the shadow of law, pseudo-Christians inevitably feel that others in their community are somehow more Christian, and that it comes easy to everyone but themselves.  Feeling guilty that “God isn’t enough” and assuming that the reason they still hurt or doubt is because they haven’t quite gotten “faith” right, pseudo-Christians push down all the feelings that don’t fit the “Christian image” and expect themselves to be at the end of a process that God has only just begun with them.

When denial and alienation from personal needs being the name of the game, pseudo-Christianity does indeed become a breeding ground for all kinds of mental and emotional illness.  In regard to codependency, recovery does mean that pseudo-Christian pharisaic tendencies must be named for what they are.  Though we are all pseudo-Christian to some extent, using outward structure and self-discipline to cooperate in our own growth—the difference between  the outward expression of our attempts to live for Christ and the heart of Christianity must be understood.

Returning to the basics, being Christian is not a result of what we do but of who we allow to love us.  I am a Christian when I accept the love of God offered to me in Christ.  I grow as a Christian when I take myself as I am to God honestly and trust that God will transform me in God’s time.  Holiness is not something I work myself into; It is a gift from God.  Though the arrival of “holiness” and the “pace of grace” may be slow, I can trust God to work in me and in others.  Seemingly, “good works” can go undone and the world will not tumble, my salvation will not be snatched away.  If I cannot “pick up my cross and deny myself” on a particular day or am not ready to “turn the other cheek” it does not mean I am no  longer a Christian.  It simply means that I need to take my inabilities, my anger, my resistance, my confusion—all that I am –to God and invite God to change what God wants changed.

With this understanding of Christianity, codependents can let up and risk a more balanced way of living in which they care themselves.  As for Scriptural support, Mark 12:31, Mark 6:31, and Luke 10:38-42 are helpful.  In Mark 12:31, we are told to “love your neighbor as yourself.”  Codependents typically hear the first half of this verse and kick it into gear—a mission!  Yet, the second half of this verse is the priority for codependents.  Until codependents love themselves, their “love” for others will always have a desperate and controlling quality to it.  Mark 12:31 clearly puts forth a balanced perspective:  love yourself and your neighbor in the same way. 

In the sixth chapter of Mark, Jesus has sent the disciple’s off in pairs to heal and teach.  They have worked hard and when they return, Jesus says to them:  “Come away by yourselves to a lonely place and rest a while.” (Mark 6:31).  Codependents can identify with the disciples working and helping others but often miss the gentle, balancing call of Jesus for them to come away by themselves to rest awhile following their work.  The driving “god” behind codependency would have instead said, “Did you miss anyone?” Thank God such a “god” is only a codependent myth!

Lastly, it is important to look at the placement of two passages in Luke, chapter 10.  First, there is the parable of the Good Samaritan which tells us to help our neighbor, with our neighbor being anyone in need.  Certainly the parable could be a creed for codependents! What we often fail to notice, however, is that the good Samaritan is immediately followed by the story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42) in which Mary is said to have chosen the better part when she chooses to take for herself what she needed even when doing so meant that work for others was put aside.  Keeping these two passages in context, back to back, changes the “creed”  of codependents into only one side of a balanced call to care for self and others.

Recognizing this balanced call to care for self and others as present in Scripture is an important step for Christians seeking to recover from codependency.  Actually, finding out and living the balance is a subsequent, ongoing and difficult process.   Early in recovery, balance is close to impossible and most codependents swing from their familiar position of “only you are important” to an uneasy position of “only I am important” for a time.  It is during this time that codependents most often receive backlash from other Christians who perceive them as becoming cold, uncaring, and selfish.  When this occurs, it is particularly important for Christian codependents to hold onto the Scripture discussed above and know that they are “in process”.  

What appears selfish is a necessary step toward finding balance that will make a fruitful Christian life possible.  It is only as recovery continues to progress, and the middle ground position of “I am important and you are important” becomes more familiar, that the “Good News” of Christianity begins to make sense; because God loves us we can love ourselves, and when we love ourselves we are able to truly love others. 
--Carole Smith, MS, LPC 

Smith, C. (1999). Christianity and Codependency. Retrieved 6, 15, 2001, from http://www.epiphanycenter.org/epc_pub_art_codepend.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psychological Approach or Spiritual Approach?

Boundaries you Cannot See And Cannot Ignore

A Tale of Two Disturbing Poems