It’s personal…homesick for Eden…


So, this Holy Yoga thing. It’s personal.  Today is my birthday – the big 3-9. About a year ago I made 
 it my goal to complete holy yoga teacher training before I turned 40. I guess I can’t get around the fact that I am an over achiever – I accomplished my goal in 6 months or so and finished with training in May [and L.O.V.E.D it, by the way].  I am mulling over a 40 old 2.0 goal so I can capitalize on the motivation. [Stay tuned...]

On this birth day of mine, I decided I needed to connect some words to my Why.

In order to get the good out of it, I need to lace it in with meaning.  There’s backstory needed though, to communicate my truth at all.

A big chapter in my story has indeed been this body of mine.   At one point I would have said “it has caused a lion’s share of trouble in my existence”.  I stopped thinking that way a long time ago though. 

It’s always, from birth, been quirky. This not quite functioning right, that not quite looking right, this painful,  that restricted.  Without getting too off topic in explaining why, suffice it to say there’s randomness in my genetic code that splashed an array of issues to the corners of my physical body.
But, God is wildly in love with me AND my body and has been on a redemptive warpath to claim it for Good and Glory.

He wasn’t content to let it remain relegated to avoidance and tolerance at best, punishment at worst.
For me, the process of straightening this out was very spiritual.  It came through spiritual direction sessions and in the form of an invitation to feel a sense of “homecoming” within myself.  A safe center, the space knit-in with Holy Spirit presence,  with which to dwell and abide- spiritually and physically.  I knew I needed to work on holistic all-inclusive self-acceptance if this was going to be possible.  Including this body, this would-be Temple.

I’m homesick, God, for your salvation;
    I love it when you show yourself!
Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well,
    use your decrees to put iron in my soul. – Psalm 119

In both his books Homesick for Eden and Falling for God, Gary Moon invites this consideration of Eden as our intended dwelling place:

“Because he is a community of compassion, love is our natural habitat.  He wired us to feel at home in a place like the Garden of Eden, which literally means “pleasure” or “delight” He programmed each of us for intimate connection.”  (2004, Moon)

How many of us can say that our inner worlds are a landscape of love and grace and acceptance?  My bet is not many if we asked our most hidden corners.  Most of us have too many measuring sticks, too much “pleasing, perfection, performance” action going to keep fertile soil of warm acceptance and “all is well” accessible.

So, through different prayer efforts and lots and lots of journaling, I began to see my body as on my side, doing the best it could to be the instrument I needed it to be…a  pretty darn good job at that if I were honest.  It occurred to me [why this was such a revelation, I am not sure – but it was a novel shift] that the more I appreciated and honored and cared for my body, the better things felt, went, improved experimentally for me. As I went this direction, I began to realize how wise and worthy my body was, how able it was to tell me what it needed and to offer me what I needed.

It was like the blessing storehouse doors blew wide open and homecoming was tasted, experienced, relished. But importantly, I learned this needed to be cultivated. Like Manna. Every day tended to, gathered, experienced.  For the homecoming that was mine yesterday was no longer accessible.  Only the homecoming I  cultivate today satisfies.

Somewhere along the way, it was recommended I practice yoga to help my joint and muscle issues.  It really really really helped.   Then, this second storehouse door blew open when I realized I could bring Jesus right into the center of the yoga practice that had so sincerely helped my physical body.   It’s hard to describe the manifest Presence that I learned to practice  and cultivate. 

This whole issue of my own inner havoc, so beautifully sung by Audrey Assad in You Speak “you liberate me….from my own noise and my own chaos…from the chains of the lesser love…you set me free…”  This  issue  of “ I cant hear what I need to hear from God for my gravitational pull to to-do’s and stresses and compulsions”  was  blown away with strategy and tools and MERCY.

“We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.” – 2 Cor. 10:4-6 Message

So, now I am in this Holy Yoga community of like-minded sisters pursuing the Beloved and allowing ourselves to be thoroughly pursued by the Beloved.  It. Is. So. Good.

I still have to put my false self in check, always will this side of heaven.  Still have to fit my  “every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ” .  Still have to remember it is NOT about progress in the asanas (poses) (which is hard sometimes when I have to accept  limitations and see other’s asana practice seemingly so effortless and unencumbered) – that is just a byproduct that may or may not happen.

It is about Homecoming. Every day. It is about giving my body what it needs,  trying not to take from it what I can extract for shell-ish identity accolades.  It’s about showing up as-is and being brave enough to let that be enough. Because Jesus takes up where I leave off.


Come practice Presence any time you feel drawn to…check out the offerings at Holy Yoga at Jordan Stones.  I would adore to have you with me. 

“The Silence that comes after the chaos is pregnant with the presence of God” – R. H. Barton


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boundaries you Cannot See And Cannot Ignore

Psychological Approach or Spiritual Approach?

A Tale of Two Disturbing Poems